Community Council Agenda
November 3, 2016 @ 7am
Hillcrest Conference Room
November 3, 2016 @ 7am
Hillcrest Conference Room
Approval of Minutes
- Jason Pond motioned
- Kate 2nd
- All in favor
- Kent Field (Hillcrest neighborhood rep) and Dayton Crites (Logan trails director) at our meeting.
- We looked at boundary and bussing maps.
- Dayton hadned out Logan City citywide Existing & Proposed Bicycling & Walking System maps.
- As we try to improve walking paths from bus stops we need to communicate with the school in that area to improve the walking paths in that area.
- How do we know about funding grants?
- Dayton sent an eamil out several month ago about grants, but got spotty response.
- He will make sure tha we get the information
- Since so few roads in Logan are UDOT, do they fund for improvements near their roads or just on their roads?
- No, only for their roads, but there is other funding that we can access.
- The biggest problem in this area is the cross walk on 1000 North 1600 East.
- There is no safe way to cross this street.
- Mark Nilson is the contact person at Logan City in the Public Works department that we need to work with on that issue.
- Kent Fiedl discussed the neighborhood meetings that the city used to have in each of the elementary school areas.
- In the neighborhood plan that that body put together there were some different things thatn in this plan.
- The city is moving away from the neighborhood meetings, they want a more grassroots effort.
- The community council could be that group to go forth and represent our neighborhood with that body.
- It was reccommended to work with Aaron Smith the city planner.
- As we look at the plan and see something is proposed, how do we know what is porposed?
- You can go to the master plan (200 pages) and scroll through and see waht options they have.
- The Hillcrest plan is going to have more specific details.
- As the two plans overlap there ismore impetus to get things done.
- Come to the city with prioritized and specific items that you want to have done.
- If you want something done be the squeaky wheel that is constantly in contact with the city council and gets what they want.
- FURTHER NOTES ON SNAP
Are there right now in the community things that are a priority? 1000 North and 1600 East.
If we come forward with an expensive fix and then agree to temporary fixes, does that bump us down on the priority list to fix the other issues? It could go either way. Just keep being the squeaky wheel. Approach the city council with something like, "We appreciate what you have done but look forward to having the future improvements made."
Let's table this and gather more information. I'm going to go and look at the neighborhood plans and see what is on them. I'll visit with LHS and Woodruff to see what they have identified in their plans. What does it take to get a crossing guard? It is through the police department and their salary comes from that. One of the things is there needs to be a certain amount of space between the 2 crossing guards. Maybe we should be a squeaky wheel with the police department as they can make a bigger impact sooner.
- Get budget printout from Spencer
- We currently haven $13, 499.15 but some of that is alreayd allocated
- See attached budget sheet.
- Based on our budget and what we have allocated, we would have run out of funding before the end fo the year.
- Why does the middle school and high school have excess funds but our elemetnary is running short?
- In the past Marshal(former superintendent) was taking care of trustland funds and he and principals were keeping separate accounts and they didn't always match
- With Frank, Jeff Barben (district business manager) becamse more involved and tried to keep things together.
- We are now all going through ALIO to make sure our accounts are the same.
- The monthly printout will show exaclty where the money is going and what is left.
- Putting us all on the same balance sheet will make it easier to know exaclty where we are budget wise.
- Funds do not belong to the district and they can't "go to the school with greatest need" they can only go to the school they are assigned too.
- Budget shows e have $5,500 for the science specialist position.
- What direction do we want to go?
- Science prep needs to change.
- Is district money still available for a new person?
- We can afford a science prep teacher that can hit all of our kids every day but we would have to take away the prep time and the campus monitoring duteis.
- It would go from a 70 minute to a 40 minute prep.
- I gave SaraAnn the revised contract but she wasn't able to commit to that.
- We can go back out through human sresources and find a new person.
- Logan distrcit is facing a reduction of children and therfore a reduction in funding for theings we are used to.
- We need to look at what is sustainable, we have some programs here that take some serious funds.
- We need to look and see what is really important.
- Dance? Leader in me? Aides?
- Teachers would spend the money on aides over leader in me.
- Having a science teacher really backed-up the science for the DLI students.
- The teachers would prefer to stay after contract time to do PLC's rather than have an aide in the classroom for an hour.
- However, the administration can only require teachers to attend if it is during the school day.
- There are a lot of programs that are great at this school, but they all cost money. We actually have to look at those costs and decide what is the best use of our resources.
- Spencer - I think the teachers would push for aides.
- Parents would like 4-5 science, I've broken it down and we could get 5.5 hours of more aide time.
- Motion to amend the plan to hire a science specialist to work with the 4-5 grade students.
- Jason motioned
- Brittany 2nd
- All in favor
- Can we hire the 4-5 and then someone for the other grades if possible?
- Yes we can.
- Can parents come in and make a donation to fix this problem?
- You would have to talk to the Logan Foundation.
- WE are going to have to have some serious discussions in the future because of our reduced funding.
- We are going to have to decide what is really important.